Research shows that people who exercise regularly see increased benefits in their mental health and emotional wellbeing, and lower rates of mental illness.
Our pools and fitness centres provide a range of opportunities to participate in physical activity.
50% of 360 members identify that mental health reasons and stress relief are primary reasons for becoming a 360 member.
360 member and patron of Victoria Park Pool, Paul LaCava has been through a time of depression and isolation and found a way to enjoy life again and love himself.
One of the helpful tools for him was exercising with a group of people he met through New Horizons, a not-for-profit organisation focused on wellbeing and inclusion.
Stories from people he met through the exercise group helped and inspired him. He is now committed to inspire others. Watch Paul’s short story now
We spoke to Jill Schmidt-Lindner, counsellor, psychotherapist and a board member at Mandala Community Counselling Service, which is located across the street from Ian Thorpe Aquatic Centre. She explained why exercise is important for mental health.
If you feel you need support, here are some resources you can reach out to
- Beyondblue - support for anxiety, depression and suicide prevention 1300 22 46 36
- Domestic Violence Line - a free call service that provides support to women with or without children - who are experiencing partner or ex-partner violence. All calls to the Domestic Violence Line are answered by female workers 1800 65 64 63
- Kids Help Line - 24/7 online and phone counselling service for young people aged 5 to 25. 1800 55 1800
- Lifeline - 13 11 14
- Mens line Australia - MensLine Australia is a telephone and online counselling service offering support for Australian men anywhere, anytime 1300 78 99 78
- NSW Mental Health Line - 1800 011 511
- WayAhead– Mental Heath Association NSW 1300 794 991 wayaheaddirectory.org.au
- ReachOut - helps you deal with stress, anxiety, depression, au.reachout.com
- NewHorizons - wellbeing support -
Other local mental health services;